Thursday, October 20, 2011

blog 3 (10-20-11)

           The pyramid we studied in class is a hierarchy that applies in all the societies I can think of. Without the Physiological part of the pyramid we would not have the necessities we need to survive, therefore it is first on the pyramid. Humans require food, water, oxygen, sleep, and shelter to survive. After this category comes safety, meaning self respect and respect towards and from others. Then there is the sense of belonging in communities whether that be a friend group, a family, a team, a religion, etc.  Being in a community can really make one feel a sense of belonging, and it helps them to find those who have things in common with them. In this category is love as well; intimacy and feelings towards another. After this section there is esteem which is similar to the last two categories because esteem basically means confidence and respect. After this is self-actualization which means finding your values and morals. 
             I slightly disagree with this pyramid because I think it is a bit repetitive. There should only be three categories in my opinion, one called necessities, one called self confidence and self respect, and another called values. Without the things you need to survive you would be able to have self confidence and respect because you would not be alive and able to think. Without self respect and confidence you would not be able to have individual values because you would not have your own true identity. In other words, each of these categories help sustain the next- they all connect. This pyramid relates a lot to my life because obviously I survive off the necessities needed in order to live, but I also build relationships and create my own values for my every day life. Without my own identity and personal confidence, my life would not be the same. I think that in order for a civilization to run, those three categories need to apply to the citizens. While every one has their differences, at the end of the day we can come together and create communities and civilizations.

No comments:

Post a Comment